After we tested that our engine was running, we started to disassemble everything. We drained the fuel tank and found that it was in perfect condition, without any corrosion. All she had to do was rinse. Then the more demanding work began, it was necessary to disassemble, clean and reassemble the carburetor, fuel pump and gasoline filter. The exhaust pipe has a crack, so welding and straightening await us. After years of standing, we cleaned the body of the car.
Today we launched our GMC CCKW 353B, great news for us. According to the records we have, the last major service took place in the service center of the Norwegian Army in 1981. The last ride was in 1985, when it was obtained from the army by the owner from whom we bought the car. First it was necessary to change the oil, which was really bad, clean the oil filter, spark plugs, play around with the carburetor and add operating fluids. Today we took the fuel from the canister and connected a new battery. But GMC started on the first try. Amazing car. Today, only five cylinders in the engine were running, but the boys say that soon it will be all six again.
We strive to move all our projects forward. It would often not be possible without the help of our friends. Undoubtedly, the guys from Let RePair are one of the most important. We haven’t brought any news from their workshop in a long time, but this one is worth it. One of the important milestones of the Bf 108 project, the complete reconstruction of the wings, is ready. When the time comes, we will be able to paint the internal parts with RLM 02 and install wiring.
In the photos you can see the whole process of riveting individual panels up to complete wings.
The Queen Mary trailer project is coming to an end, so it’s time to start something new. We pulled our GMC CCKW 353B from the warehouse and set off for the workshop. There will be a lot of work on it, but we believe that the result will be worth it.
Today we were able to test the pilot seats for our Messerschmitt after a complete overhaul. After sandblasting and defectoscopy of the seat belt anchorages, we now have seats in the standard color RLM 02. We have also tested them with original wooden seats. These underwent a relatively demanding repair, but we could leave them for operation and did not have to make copies of them. Now they have a trip to the upholstery and then they will just wait for the rest of the plane. Here you can see what it looked like after removing it from the plane, before starting work.